GIMP 2.8

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Wed May 2 21:45:56 UTC 2012

On 05/02/2012 05:36 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 09:48 -0400, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
>> I agree. The save vs. export thing in the new version of gimp is mind-numbingly stupid.
> Makes perfect sense to me. It's the same logic used in Audacity. You are
> always losing information when 'saving' to an image format - the record
> of your edits to the file. You're exporting for production, you're not
> saving your work.
It doesn't make sense for most people, because most people don't give a
flying fig about "lost information," they just want to edit an image and
be done with it. Optimizing an interface for the minority of people who
use it is not wise, especially when the people who /do/ care about it
are knowledgeable enough to know how to make the program do what they
want even without changing the interface.

You could argue that it might make sense for those people when they're
starting something new from scratch, but when loading an image of a
particular format into GIMP, it should save in that same format by default.

In any case, changing the behavior without making it configurable by the
user, was just totally gratuitous and stupid.

The /smart/ way to accomplish what they were trying to accomplish would
have been to add a File | Import... command, and a corresponding
"--import" command-line option, and a corresponding "Import into GIMP"
context menu item, which takes an image in whatever format is being
imported but then defaults to saving in XCF format.

   jik