Dovecot

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Thu May 3 02:18:26 UTC 2012

On 05/02/2012 11:26 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 02:24 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
>> Did an upgrade from F16 to current F17 tree + updates on my server and
>> all seemed well.
>>
>> Except for dovecot..which after the upgrade, it seemed to error on my
>> client side (via imap) about namespace and inbox=yes and no namespace or
>> something along those lines.
>>
>> Anyone else seen this?  It seems downgrading back to the 2.0 version in
>> F16 get it back to working again.
>
> as moabi2000 says, it's quite simply that the dovecot in F17 is a
> considerably newer version than the one in F16 and they made some major
> changes to config file layout upstream. You have to try and remember
> what modifications you made to the stock config, read the new upstream
> references and the .rpmnew files, and reconcile everything. Keep going
> until you don't get any errors/warnings in your logs when starting and
> using dovecot. The error/warning messages themselves mostly at least
> give useful _hints_ as to what you need to change. Wish I could be more
> specific, but I don't recall exactly what changes I had to make. One
> certainly involved the INBOX. prefix I've inherited from courier-imap,
> though, and the other I think involved Postfix SASL auth.

The changes between versions are documented at
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Upgrading
which is useful to find out if you need to modify the configuration.
Also dovecot comes with "doveconf" which can help you with analyzing which
parts of the configuration are different from the defaults and it can even
convert 1.x style configs into 2.x style ones.
More details here:
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveconf

Regards,
  Dennis