GIMP 2.8

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu May 3 11:18:46 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 12:31 +0200, Karel Volný wrote:
> Dne St 2. května 2012 23:53:36, Adam Williamson napsal(a):
> > GIMP is a professional image editing suite, just like
> > Photoshop. It's not a basic touch-up tool. It doesn't really
> > make sense to criticise it on the basis that you want to use
> > it for something it's not really designed to do.
>
> and which tool are we supposed to use?

Even if the answer were 'there isn't one', that's not GIMP's fault. The
GIMP authors want to write a professional photo editor. If no-one wants
to write a simple touch-up tool, that's hardly the GIMP authors' fault,
is it?

> so far, Shotwell and Digikam were proposed
>
> but these aren't "basic touch-up tools" either:
> Shotwell - A photo organizer for the GNOME desktop
> digiKam - A digital camera accessing & photo management
> application

And we all know summary lines are always kept carefully up to date and
fully accurate and contain a complete description of all the app's
functionality in their 80 characters or less! (email really needs
a :rolleyes: emoticon).

It's really not difficult to actually _run_ either app and have a look
at what it can do. Shotwell has some pretty basic editing tools - more
'enhancement' than editing - but Digikam has some pretty advanced
functionality these days. See
http://docs.kde.org/development/en/extragear-graphics/digikam/image-editor.html , for a quick indication of what it can do.