man files...

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun May 6 02:58:35 UTC 2012

On 05/06/2012 02:52 AM, Rob Healey wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> Could someone tell me which is more appropriate to do?  place project
> manual files in:
> 1) usr/share/man/lang/man1/gramps.1.gz, or
> 2) /usr/local/share/man/man1/gramps.1

Each man page should accompany the program it documents.

i.e. if a program is installed to /usr/bin/
... /usr/share/man/man1 is the location to host its man-page.

if a program is installed to /usr/local/bin
... /usr/local/share/man/man1 is the location to host its man-page.

> Which format is also better *.gz or *.1 ???
Common sense and common practice is to let packages install uncompressed
manpages (*.1, *.2, etc.).

In Fedora and other Red Hat-based Linux distributions, these
uncompressed man-pages later are automatically gzip-compressed when
building the corresponding rpm.

Ralf

P.S.: I think, this mail is off-topic for this list.