gnome-terminal can't display utf-8 characters anymore

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at
Sun May 6 03:58:09 UTC 2012

On 05/06/2012 11:53 AM, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
> Two additional things about this I've discovered...
> 1. Changing the encoding of the terminal to utf-8 in the Terminal | Set Character
> Encoding menu doesn't help. It changes the garbage that is displayed, but it's
> still garbage.
> 2. If I do "echo *.mp3" instead of "ls", then it's closer to correct:
> Note that the correct Hebrew letters are displayed, but they're backward. I seem to
> recall that's how things used to work, so the backward part isn't a regression. The
> fact that the file names are displayed properly by echo but not by ls would seem to
> suggest that the regression / bug / whatever is in ls?
>   jik

For those of us not able to input Hebrew....  Could you type in a sample?

FWIW, my F17 system can't boot at the moment...  But my F16 system displays this just

as file name....   Did a "touch 台北市松山" and then an ls.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage