F17: kernel panic at shutdown

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Mon May 7 15:38:30 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Jurgen Kramer <gtmkramer at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> I am getting frequent kernel panics when shutting down my laptop. It is
> running the latest F17 with all updates.
>
> Last messages before the panic are:
>
> Cannot finalize remaining file system and devices, giving up.
> Succesfully changed into root pivot.
> /shutdown: line 12: /lib/dracut-lib.sh: No such file ore directory
> [ kernel panic ]
>
> Any ideas what's wrong here? My other F17 test rig does not exhibit this
> problem.

Best guess:

Sounds like the system is switching back to the initramfs during
shutdown (normal), and then something is messed up in there and causing
dracut to abort.  Since dracut is PID 1 at that point, the kernel is
unhappy because there is no init process.

Why your initramfs is messed up would be the thing to chase.

josh