F17: Firewall disable/stop

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon May 7 21:00:28 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-05-06 at 09:21 +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 06/05/12 07:24, antonio montagnani wrote:
> >
> > I am confused...
> > If I SSH from fresh F17 to an updated F17 everything is o.k.:
>
> On the updated F17, Firewalld has now been disabled, as planned
>
> on the
> > other way from the updated F17 to fresh F17, I get the message that key
> > verification didn't succeed (and password is correct):
>
> On the fresh F17, Firewalld has not yet been disabled by the updates.

Um, no, there's two things wrong with that. =)

One, firewalld does not get disabled by updates. We never added any
hooks to enable firewalld on upgrade from F16 to F17, and we never wrote
any to disable firewalld on upgrade from 'early' F17 to 'late' F17. You
always just get what happened to be the default when you installed.

Two, the problem here doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the
firewall anyway. If a firewall is preventing you from ssh'ing to a
machine you won't get any kind of error message like 'key verification
failed'. All you'll get is a complete failure to connect, which will
result in an error like 'no route to host'. That's all you'll get in
_any_ case where a simple port-based firewall prevents the connection.
The server app will never see a connection at all. All you'll get is a
connection-level error.