F17 self-built boot.iso queries

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon May 7 21:21:12 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 08:57 -0600, Tim Flink wrote:
> On Mon, 7 May 2012 20:09:53 +0530
> Amit Saha <amitksaha at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
> > Hello all:
> >
> > I built a boot.iso with 'lorax' using Fedora 17 release,version using
> > the default templates:
> >
> > $ sudo lorax --buildarch=i386 -p fedora -v 17 -r 17 -s
> > http://mirror.optus.net/fedora/linux/development/17/i386/os/ lorax_op
> >
> > I faced a couple of issues:
> >
> > 1. When i boot it using qemu/VirualBox, after selecting the install
> > option, the process stops with a white screen. Any reason for this?
>
> Do you have any logs for the install? That doesn't ring any bells
> regarding bugs that we've seen thus far but I'm also not sure that
> we've done any spins with just F17 stable, either.
>
> > 2. When I boot it on bare metal after burning to a USB stick, the
> > installer goes to the storage device selection stage. I already have
> > a Fedora 17 installation on disk, which the new installation isn't
> > very happy with and complains that it cannot proceed with the
> > installation. Is this expected?
>
> It's likely that the packages on the boot.iso are older than your base
> system if you've been keeping it up to date with updates-testing. I'm
> not 100% clear on how upgrades work on the same base version but that
> could be part of the problem (assuming that F17->F17 'upgrades' are
> supposed to work and I'm not sure that they are).

No they're not. I'm not sure Amit isn't misreading the message. When you
install to a system with F17 already installed you'll get a screen
saying it can't upgrade, 'likely because your installed version of
Fedora is too old'. This is a bit confusing, but the key point is this
is just a warning that upgrade isn't possible, and you can happily
proceed with a fresh install. If Amit is seeing a different screen, more
details would be helpful.