F17-Beta: some flaws

Joachim Backes joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Tue May 8 05:50:39 UTC 2012

On 05/07/2012 11:11 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-05-06 at 15:30 +0200, Joachim Backes wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I downloaded the x86_64 F17-Beta iso and installed it inside VirtualBox.
>> I did a minimal install. Install was done flawlessly, and I could boot.
>>

>> 2.
>>
>> I run system-config-keyboard within the rescue shell and changed the
>> keyboard to german-no-deadkeys. No error message, but still the keyboard
>> remains US (y/z problem and some other needed keys).

> Er, this sounds silly, but did you remember to chroot before running it?

The rescue shell runs already with uid=0! (confirmed by an id command)

> Why did you do this from a rescue shell? And when you say 'the keyboard
> remains US', *where* exactly? Desktops have their own keyboard layout
> settings which can override the system-wide ones.

Hi Adam,

for clarification only: I *booted the install DVD* by selecting
"Troubleshoot" and then selecting "rescue a fedora system" (I did *not
boot the installed OS* with advanced options/selecting the OS rescue
mode)! This boots into some TTY!

As soon as the shell was available, I used "system-config-keyboard" from
that TTY to select another keyboard type (booting the rescue DVD does
not allow such a selection), in my case german-no-deadkeys. Was
accepted, but effectless.

>> 3. I tried to run gdisk or cgdisk inside the rescue. But this is not
>> offered by the rescue system. My opinion: If I install an OS with GPT
>> and I perform a rescue, the gdisk and/or cgdisk should be available.
>
> parted is, that's the 'recommended' tool.

Accepted.

>> 4.
>>
>> Trying "yum install */gdisk" produces an error:
>>
>> File "/usr/bin/yum", line 28, in <module>
>> import yummain
>>
>> Import error: No module named yummain
>
> yeah, you're not really supposed to be able to yum from within rescue, I
> don't think.

You don't think, or you know? How to install additional packages
elsewise? And why then it's possible to call yum in the rescue shell?

Kind regards

--
Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>

http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~backes