F17-Beta: some flaws

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue May 8 06:03:15 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 07:50 +0200, Joachim Backes wrote:
> > On Sun, 2012-05-06 at 15:30 +0200, Joachim Backes wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I downloaded the x86_64 F17-Beta iso and installed it inside VirtualBox.
> >> I did a minimal install. Install was done flawlessly, and I could boot.
> >>

> >> 2.
> >>
> >> I run system-config-keyboard within the rescue shell and changed the
> >> keyboard to german-no-deadkeys. No error message, but still the keyboard
> >> remains US (y/z problem and some other needed keys).
>

> > Er, this sounds silly, but did you remember to chroot before running it?
>
> The rescue shell runs already with uid=0! (confirmed by an id command)

chroot doesn't make you root. It 'changes root', i.e., the root
directory.

> > Why did you do this from a rescue shell? And when you say 'the keyboard
> > remains US', *where* exactly? Desktops have their own keyboard layout
> > settings which can override the system-wide ones.
>
> Hi Adam,
>
> for clarification only: I *booted the install DVD* by selecting
> "Troubleshoot" and then selecting "rescue a fedora system" (I did *not
> boot the installed OS* with advanced options/selecting the OS rescue
> mode)! This boots into some TTY!

Well...er...yeah. It boots into a rescue environment. That environment
is not your installed system. Unless you run 'chroot /mnt/sysimage' -
which makes /mnt/sysimage the root directory, effectively putting your
'inside' your installed system - then any commands you run take effect
with regard to _the rescue environment_, not the installed system. So
you just changed the language of the rescue environment. Not the
installed system.

> >> 4.
> >>
> >> Trying "yum install */gdisk" produces an error:
> >>
> >> File "/usr/bin/yum", line 28, in <module>
> >> import yummain
> >>
> >> Import error: No module named yummain
> >
> > yeah, you're not really supposed to be able to yum from within rescue, I
> > don't think.
>
> You don't think, or you know? How to install additional packages
> elsewise? And why then it's possible to call yum in the rescue shell?

Think, rather than know. But again, you would have to chroot first.