gnome-terminal can't display utf-8 characters anymore

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Tue May 8 12:37:53 UTC 2012

On 05/06/2012 08:27 AM, Kevin DeKorte wrote:
> Can you check your locale on the GDM login page? I had this problem
> when I upgraded to F16, in that I could not see utf-8 characters in
> the terminal. Turned out my locale was set to en_US.C or something
> like that when it should have been en_US.UTF8. Changing that in GDM
> solved it.
I can't find any way to check my locale on the GDM login page. Am I
missing something?

Once I've logged in, "set | grep ^L" in a GNOME terminal says LANG is
set to "en_US". The variable GDM_LANG has the same value.

Strangeness... When I click on my name while logged in and open System
Settings, and then click on Region and Language, the language that's set
is "English (United States) [ISO-8859-1]". If I click on "English"
instead, which is a separate language in the listing, and then close the
settings window, log out and log back in, and open the settings again,
it's /again/ set to "English (United States) [ISO-8859-1]". Is it a bug
that the change to "English" doesn't stick?

   jik