Firefox and java plugin

Terry Polzin foxec208 at wowway.com
Tue May 8 15:37:16 UTC 2012

For some reason in firefox the java plugin refuses to install.  In
order to do my job I have to use jre and not IcedTea or some other what
I call "fake" java.  I have alternatives set correctly as my f16
machine but the java 1.6.26 plugin does not show up in about:plugins
screen or allow my apps to run.  Yes, I am forced to stay at this older
version of jre due to the limitations of the apps I run.

 ls -l /etc/alternatives/lib*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 43 May  8
11:16 /etc/alternatives/libjavaplugin.so.x86_64
-> /usr/java/jre1.6.0_26/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so

ls -l /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     41 May  8 11:16 libjavaplugin.so
-> /etc/alternatives/libjavaplugin.so.x86_64