obsolete http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda_Boot_Options

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu May 10 09:33:45 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 03:49:27AM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

> I never heard of an ip command before.

What can I say?  'man ip', as used by Fedora 16, has "17 January 2002"
for a timestamp and quite possibly this is not the first version.  For
all this time this was supposed to be "the command" for manipulating
network interfaces, with all other stuff lingering only for back
compatibility reasons, so it is not that surprising that dracut has only
a copy of ip.  BTW - 'ip help' or 'ip <some_partial_command> help'
should give you usually enough of help if at some point you do not know
what to do.

> # ip addr
> lo: <LOOPBACK> mtu 16436 qdisc noop state DOWN
> link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
> p11p1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN qlen 1000
> link/ether 00:a0:c9:a2:dd:70 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
> #

That means that even a loopback interface is in a state DOWN and none of
interfaces has neither inet nor inet6 addresses assigned (otherwise you
would see in an ip output lines starting with such identifiers).  Why
you are seeing that in your setup I have not the slightest clue.

    Michal