obsolete http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda_Boot_Options

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu May 10 17:07:21 UTC 2012

On 2012/05/09 13:32 (GMT+0100) Frank Murphy composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>>  Where's what dracut wants instead of all it claims is obsolete when I
>>  try to use what's there for F17 installation via an installed Grub
>>  Legacy stanza?

> Is there some reason Fedora BFO won't suit?
> https://boot.fedoraproject.org/faq

I didn't know it existed until your post. I looked for a definition of lkrn,
but there doesn't seem to be one anywhere Google can find. It looks like a
good solution for some problems, just not mine. I'm not familiar with
anything about PXE beyond its existence, and only guest systems use DHCP
here, never my own.

Virtually the only times I boot anything other than a HD are: 1-for some task
of which using live media is an integral part, and 2-a brand new HD needs
partitions and MBR code. I always partition in advance of installing any OS,
and always use generic M$ equivalent MBR code. I very rarely used USB for
anything, as that media type poses physical labeling trouble, keeping track
of where the little gadgets are, and what they contain. Floppies are slow,
last choice except for some of the simplest tasks. OM are faster, and can be
written on, but still impose some slowness and the where is the one I need
hiding this time problem.

Grub stanzas to load a previously downloaded kernel and initrd are both
bandwidth savers, time savers, and brain savers, the latter a kind of cheat
sheet so that when several weeks or months have passed since I solved a what
broke this time problem I don't need to remember, and I don't have to look up
or retype static ip info and other cmdline options that worked. It's all
right there in the stanza(s), which I can copy from host to host in my local
network of many unique multiboot host configurations.

Still, thanks for this new method to avoid downloading and burning large isos
for one or few uses. :-)

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/