automount (autofs) not working (F17)

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Fri May 11 02:22:47 UTC 2012

I have the following:

        $ cat /etc/auto.master
        #
        # Sample auto.master file
        # This is an automounter map and it has the following format
        # key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
        # For details of the format look at autofs(5).
        #
        /misc	/etc/auto.misc
        #
        # NOTE: mounts done from a hosts map will be mounted with the
        #	"nosuid" and "nodev" options unless the "suid" and "dev"
        #	options are explicitly given.
        #
        /net	-hosts
        #
        # Include /etc/auto.master.d/*.autofs
        #
        +dir:/etc/auto.master.d
        #
        # Include central master map if it can be found using
        # nsswitch sources.
        #
        # Note that if there are entries for /net or /misc (as
        # above) in the included master map any keys that are the
        # same will not be seen as the first read key seen takes
        # precedence.
        #
        +auto.master

        /home	auto.home
        /-      auto.direct

        $ cat /etc/auto.home
        *		-fstype=nfs4	rail:/home/&

        $ cat /etc/auto.direct
        /share  -fstype=nfs4    rail:/share

This identical configuration is working just fine on a Fedora 16 box.
On my Fedora 17 prerelease installation (currently using
autofs-5.0.6-13.fc17), it does not work at all.

For a while, I thought the problem was bug 806333 (and maybe it was).
But I'm now using nfs-utils-1.2.5-15.fc17 and I no longer have to do
"modprobe nfs" to get nfs4 mounts to work with "mount". (So that issue
would appear to be fixed.)

Where should I be looking for the culprit?

--
Braden McDaniel <braden at endoframe.com>