obsolete http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda_Boot_Options

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Fri May 11 02:51:26 UTC 2012

On 2012/05/10 19:09 (GMT-0700) Adam Williamson composed:

> On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 11:49 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

>>  X.log shows 1152x864 as an available mode (but not a "built-in" mode).
>>  Anaconda is using 1280x1024, having shifted up to a higher resolution,
>>  resulting in tinier text than wanted instead of back to 1024x768 which would
>>  be more usable. So next I need to figure out how to get bigger Anaconda fonts
>>  in the resolution it thinks I should use, a problem plaguing me for several
>>  releases....

> I dunno whether that mode setting code has been at all updated for newer
> X or KMS or whatever. No idea whether it's expected to work or broken or
> what. I doubt you could force anaconda to use bigger fonts, unless you
> somehow hack a DPI setting into the X config...

I found a workaround. I connect a '19"' CRT with EDID that most xservers
object to in one fashion or another. I initialize installation without vga=
or video= on cmdline, and both ttys and Anaconda come up in 1024x768. Then I
pull the plug on that display and plug in a '21"' CRT that X usually thinks
should use 1600x1200, which at 1024x768 actually makes Anaconda text big
enough to see, and tty text a little bigger than I prefer (which is why I
usually set 1152x864 on KMS kernel cmdlines).

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/