GIMP 2.8

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Mon May 14 10:04:32 UTC 2012

Dne Čt 3. května 2012 12:18:46, Adam Williamson napsal(a):
> On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 12:31 +0200, Karel Volný wrote:
> > Dne St 2. května 2012 23:53:36, Adam Williamson napsal(a):
> > > GIMP is a professional image editing suite, just like
> > > Photoshop. It's not a basic touch-up tool. It doesn't
> > > really
> > > make sense to criticise it on the basis that you want to
> > > use
> > > it for something it's not really designed to do.
> >
> > and which tool are we supposed to use?
>
> Even if the answer were 'there isn't one', that's not GIMP's
> fault. The GIMP authors want to write a professional photo
> editor. If no-one wants to write a simple touch-up tool,
> that's hardly the GIMP authors' fault, is it?

I don't blame anyone for not writing an alternative -
unfortunately, the thing is that until recent version, I was able
to use the "professional" tool for my "amateur" tasks without
much problems

now it breaks my workflow

I like examples so another one:

I'm no professional lumberjack

I'm perfectly happy to prepare some wood for our garden fireplace
using some cheap electric chainsaw from the nearest hobbymarket -
the "amateur tool"

now if someone would give me a "professional tool", some heavy
duty chainsaw like Husqvarna 595 XP, I bet I would have no
problem to use it for my task

why this doesn't work for (some) software? - do really all the
professionals scratch their right ear with left hand?

> > so far, Shotwell and Digikam were proposed
> >
> > but these aren't "basic touch-up tools" either:
> > Shotwell - A photo organizer for the GNOME desktop
> > digiKam - A digital camera accessing & photo management
> > application
>
> And we all know summary lines are always kept carefully up to
> date and fully accurate and contain a complete description of
> all the app's functionality in their 80 characters or less!
> (email really needs a :rolleyes: emoticon).

okay, so you say the sole purpose of these are to be "basic touch
up tools"?

> It's really not difficult to actually _run_ either app and have
> a look at what it can do.

yep, I've actually run Digikam

the startup takes longer than for GIMP

it trashes my system with useless databases and steals the
control over my files

and manipulating images eats more memory than in GIMP

> Shotwell has some pretty basic
> editing tools - more 'enhancement' than editing - but Digikam
> has some pretty advanced functionality these days. See
> http://docs.kde.org/development/en/extragear-graphics/digikam/i
> mage-editor.html , for a quick indication of what it can do.

that doc doesn't say (or I don't see it) how to start just the
editor, without all the bloat of "collection management"

K.

--
Karel Volný
QE BaseOs/Daemons Team