GIMP 2.8

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon May 14 18:02:36 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 12:04 +0200, Karel Volný wrote:

> I like examples so another one:
>
> I'm no professional lumberjack
>
> I'm perfectly happy to prepare some wood for our garden fireplace
> using some cheap electric chainsaw from the nearest hobbymarket -
> the "amateur tool"
>
> now if someone would give me a "professional tool", some heavy
> duty chainsaw like Husqvarna 595 XP, I bet I would have no
> problem to use it for my task
>
> why this doesn't work for (some) software? - do really all the
> professionals scratch their right ear with left hand?

That's not a very good analogy. Chainsaws are designed to do precisely
one thing: cut through certain types of material very quickly. A
'professional' chainsaw is only one that can cut even faster and,
probably, with higher reliability when used frequently. The professional
chainsaw user may cut down more trees more often than the amateur, but
they're both fundamentally _just cutting down trees_.

This is not very comparable with the situation under discussion here,
where the amateur user is likely to be, say, adjusting the brightness of
a photo or rotating it 90 degrees, while the professional user is likely
to be designing the graphics for an entire website from scratch, or
something like that. You see the difference in complexity.