GIMP 2.8

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon May 14 20:34:13 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 11:02:36AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> This is not very comparable with the situation under discussion here,
> where the amateur user is likely to be, say, adjusting the brightness of
> a photo or rotating it 90 degrees,

If you think that "amateur" photo editing is limited to that then indeed
gthumb, or such over overwrought concotion like digikam, will be good
enough.  The reality is somewhat different from your limited view.

> while the professional user

Anybody involved professionally or "semi-professionally" with
_photography_ will not touch GIMP with a ten foot pole for that simple
reason that GIMP is using 8-bit colour.  Nothing particular about
vagaries of a user interface.  This is not a snobbery.  For a serious
manipulation of photographs, especially raw files, 8 bits is definitely
not enough.  Even if GIMP will eventually get a deeper colour I am
afraid that this damage is already done and not likely reversible.

> is likely to be designing the graphics for an entire website from
> scratch

Websites can be filled with impunity with all kind of graphics junk.
I am not sure what this has to do with complaints from Karel but
apparently some like it one way and some other.  Still GIMP is supposed
to be scriptable.  Gratituous changes likely to break an untold number
of accumulated scripts do not sound like a sane idea.

   Michal