Testing software rendering of gnome-shell on old hardware.

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon May 14 23:41:58 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 11:43 +0100, Martin Garton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since gnome shell now supports software rendering in F17
> (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Gnome_shell_software_rendering), is it considered a bug if fallback mode is still used on some hardware when running F17 beta?

Not really. Explicitly blacklisted hardware still gets fallback mode.
It's considered a todo / wishlist item for them to get software
rendering instead; it's a bit tricky to implement.

> How do I know whether my hardware is supposed to be supported or not?

Shell should actually work with software rendering on anything that's
explicitly blacklisted. There is a way to force it to run, but I forget
the details. mclasen or adel should probably know.