chronyd can't be disabled in F17 to use ntpd instead

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue May 15 16:19:27 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 11:48:02AM -0400, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
> On 15/05/12 11:42, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> >This is, admitedly, "a big gun" but
> >
> >    systemctl mask chronyd.service
> >
> >does not work for you either?
> Didn't try it. Didn't know it existed. Most Fedora users won't know either.

$ man systemctl
       mask [NAME...]
           Mask one or more unit files, as specified on the command line. This
           will link these units to /dev/null, making it impossible to start
           them. This is a stronger version of disable, since it prohibits all
           kinds of activation of the unit, including manual activation. Use
           this option with care.

I am not a great fan of systemd.  I think that it is overdesigned and
attempts to do too many things for its own good.  Still it is really
decently documented.  The only trouble you may sometimes have is which
corner of this maze is hiding a gem you are looking for.  In this
particular case it is right there in a plain view.

> And a workaround is not a fix.

Agreed.  I was just curious what "can't" really means here.

   Michal