Nomodeset in grub

Samuel Sieb samuel at sieb.net
Tue May 15 18:51:51 UTC 2012

Adam Jackson wrote:
> I'm sorry, I don't believe know what your goal is. All you've said so far is
> that you used to do this thing, and that now it doesn't work the way it used to.
> I don't think I caught _why_ you were doing that thing.

I don't know what his use case is, but I set this up recently as well.  I have
an HP server with ILO with lets me remotely view the console.  However, they
require a license if you want to view it in graphical mode.  So in order to be
able to access grub and the console remotely I need to make sure that nothing
switches to graphical mode while booting.  I solved this by using nomodeset for
the kernel and modifying the grub config so that initializing graphics mode was
a no-op.