"Safely Remove Drive" command gone in F17?

cornel panceac cpanceac at gmail.com
Wed May 16 13:34:06 UTC 2012

2012/5/16 Jonathan Kamens <jik at kamens.us>

>  I have an USB thumb drive with an LED that lights up when it is activated.
>
> On Windows, when I am done using it, I can "safely remove" the device, at
> which point the LED turns off and I know it is safe to unplug it from the
> system.
>
> I could be remembering wrong, but I thought there was an equivalent
> "safely remove" command in Fedora. However, on my F17 system, I can no
> longer find this command anywhere, e.g., it isn't on the menu when I
> right-click on the drive's icon, and neither umounting nor ejecting the
> drive from that menu causes the LED to turn off. This, understandably,
> makes me uncomfortable about yanking it out of the system.
>
> So (a) what is the right way to completely deactivate a USB device, so
> that the device knows and tells the user that it has been deactivated, and
> (b) is there a bug here that I should be filing in bugzilla?
>
> Thanks,
>
>   jik

that is interesting. i plugin a 4GB usb stick, and it's mounted and i can
see it in "Computer" as "$.0 GB Drive: $.0 GB Volume". if i right click and
"Eject", the label changes to "Drive" , but the LED is on. If i right click
on "Drive" and eject, "Drive" is still there but the LED is reset.
i don't understand what's going on here.