"Safely Remove Drive" command gone in F17?

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Fri May 18 19:08:00 UTC 2012

On 05/18/2012 03:01 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> I just saw on a Windows 7 machine that the menu item is labeled
> "Eject" for a USB drive, so Gnome is not actually doing anything
> different.
One difference is that on Windows 7, in addition to the "Eject" menu
command, there is also a "Safely remove drive" icon in the system tray
which makes it crystal clear that the drive is being completely removed
from the system.

Another difference is that on Windows 7, when you eject a drive, you get
a notification explicitly telling you it's safe to remove it, whereas
GNOME has chosen to display a notification only when it is /not/ safe to
remove it, thus leaving users guessing about whether it's safe to remove
the drive.

Another difference is that on Windows 7, when you eject a drive, it
still shows up in "Computer", whereas when you "Safely remove" it, its
icon disappears from the "Computer" folder. GNOME has no equivalent that
will cause a removeable device to completely go away.

(One way Fedora and Windows 7 are the same is that I just tried my thumb
drive with the LED and the light didn't go off when I did "Safely
remove" on it, so either I'm remembering wrong that the LED used to turn
off, or Windows 7 has changed that behavior.)

  jik