"Safely Remove Drive" command gone in F17?

Samuel Sieb samuel at sieb.net
Fri May 18 20:19:34 UTC 2012

Jonathan Kamens wrote:
> Another difference is that on Windows 7, when you eject a drive, you get a
> notification explicitly telling you it's safe to remove it, whereas GNOME has
> chosen to display a notification only when it is /not/ safe to remove it, thus
> leaving users guessing about whether it's safe to remove the drive.
>
> Another difference is that on Windows 7, when you eject a drive, it still shows
> up in "Computer", whereas when you "Safely remove" it, its icon disappears from
> the "Computer" folder. GNOME has no equivalent that will cause a removeable
> device to completely go away.
>
> (One way Fedora and Windows 7 are the same is that I just tried my thumb drive
> with the LED and the light didn't go off when I did "Safely remove" on it, so
> either I'm remembering wrong that the LED used to turn off, or Windows 7 has
> changed that behavior.)

I'm really wondering what you are testing with...  Here are my results with F16
and F17 live.

F16:
There are two menu entries, "safely remove" and "eject".  Both do exactly the
same thing.  When clicked, the icon is gone from nautilus and the led on the
flash drive is off.  When there is still data that needs to be written, a dialog
pops up saying wait while writing.  When it's done, it flashes that it's ok to
take it out (very briefly), then the dialog goes away.

F17 live:
There is only one menu entry, "eject".  When clicked, the icon is gone from
nautilus and the led on the flash drive is off.  When there is still data that
needs to be written, a notification comes up saying don't take out the drive
yet.  When it's done, another notification comes up saying it's ok to take out
the drive which in my opinion is actually better than what F16 did.

In both cases, when doing umount from the command line, the icon stays in
nautilus, a menu option "mount" is added, and the little eject icon is gone.
The led on the flash drive is still on, until I select "eject" from the menu at
which point it turns off.  I did the led test on two different flash drives and
got the same results.