Could not browse Windows shares in local network with Nautilus

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Tue May 22 07:07:43 UTC 2012

Mateusz Marzantowicz:
> Adam Williamson:
>> On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 10:10 +0200, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm unable to setup my Fedora 17 boxes (I have one real and one virtual
>>> machine) to work as samba client in graphical mode (gnome shell/nautilus).
>>>
>>> I have a little local network up to 10 hosts including virtual machines.
>>> I configured samba server on Ubuntu 12.04. I can access files and use
>>> printers easily from other computers with Ubuntu, Windows XP and Windows 7.
>>>
>>> I can see all shares with smbclient -L <ubuntu-samba-server> command in
>>> my Fedora 17. When I try to navigate to my work group in nautilus it
>>> prompts that it could not mount the location but I can mount it manually
>>> from terminal.
>>>
>>> So it looks like everything works except samba via nautilus. Is there
>>> anything I can do to simply browse and use my network shares form Fedora 17?
>> Well, for one thing, try disabling the firewall and see if that helps?
>> It seems like it can interfere with browsing for some bizarre reason.
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I've checked firewall and to my knowledge it's disabled, here is what my
> iptables -L prints:
>
> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
>
> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
>
> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
>

> As I mentioned in my original e-mail I can access my samba shares form
> command line (smbclient and mount -t cifs ....). The problem only occurs
> when using nautilus. I've also disabled SELinux but without any luck. I
> think, I should be asked for password for my share somewhere during
> clicking in nautilus but I'm not. Maybe there is a failure?
>

> Mateusz Marzantowicz

I've played just with Fedora 17 beta Live for a while and it looks like
everything is working out of the box. I'm beginning to think the problem
was cause by updates of samba related packages in recent testing version
of Fedora. It might not be worth to drill this deeper.

Thanks for all your help,
Mateusz Marzantowicz