f17 and ATI RAGE128

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sat May 26 17:29:48 UTC 2012

On 2012/05/26 09:50 (GMT-0700) Adam Williamson composed:

> G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:

>>  The problem is that grub2 selects inappropriate video modes for ATI cards

> This is too broad. Effectively grub2 tries to do modesetting, much the
> same as X will; it tries to figure an appropriate graphical mode for the
> card/monitor combination in use. On a _few_ configurations this fails,
> because either the card or the monitor provide incorrect information
> about their capabilities. It's certainly not the case for anywhere close
> to all 'ATI cards', or all cards from any manufacturer. It's specific
> broken bits of hardware.

> I believe grub2 doesn't yet have quite the sophistication X has in place
> for handling broken hardware, and hence is likely to hit issues somewhat
> more often than X does.

The only r128 I ever use on purpose is in a reliable but old Dell laptop.
I've not used it in a while, but last I checked, when KMS was rather young, I
was told not to expect KMS support for r128 to materialize. If that remains
the case, whatever is being done regarding mga probably needs to be done for
r128 and whatever other ATIs people still use that are older still.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/