"Safely Remove Drive" command gone in F17?

Samuel Sieb samuel at sieb.net
Mon May 28 17:02:17 UTC 2012

Jonathan Kamens wrote:
> This is not what I see. For me, "Eject"ing the USB drive in Nautilus does not
> cause the icon to disappear and does not cause the LED to turn off.

Are you using a USB hard drive because I just ran into this myself now.  All my
other tests were with a USB flash drive.  Now I am working with a USB hard drive
and I get different results.  On F16, there is only one menu entry in the
right-click menu "safely remove drive".  If I click that, the drive icon goes
away and the led turns off.  If I click the little eject icon, the drive is
unmounted and the eject icon goes away, but the drive icon is still there and
the led light is on.  There is now a mount option in the menu and clicking
"safely remove" does as previously described.  On F17, there is only an unmount
option in the right-click menu and it (and the eject icon) behaves as the eject
button on F16.  There is no safely remove option and the led never turns off.
However, the eject icon being gone indicates that it is safe to unplug it.

So there is some difference in behaviour depending on what type of USB drive is
connected.