How to interpret F18 Blocker criterion

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Nov 6 22:23:36 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-11-06 at 21:55 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> People that want to try Fedora can do so via live cd/dvd/usb or in a vm
> and those that dont need to reformat/repartition and reinstall windows
> and then install Fedora assuming that they have legal copy of Microsoft
> Windows in the first place ( which I seriously doubt is the case today
> since I dont even think they ship a copy on cd with windows with
> laptops/desktops today atleast I did not get any copy with the last
> laptop I bought )...

What? you don't have to reinstall Windows to install Fedora alongside
it. Almost all OEM preloads of Windows are simple installs, just what we
list in the criteria and what we test: they just have a single big
partition with Windows on it (and maybe some system restore partition as
we discussed earlier in the thread). I'm not sure if you're being obtuse
or just misunderstanding, but it is generally the case that you can take
a perfectly normal OEM Windows box, maybe resize the Windows partition
(or just add another disk), and install Linux alongside it, and it'll
work fine.