How to interpret F18 Blocker criterion

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Nov 7 02:08:24 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-11-07 at 00:23 +0100, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Nov 6, 2012, at 11:43 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > You do realize by having this criteria you are tying the release to
> users having existing windows installs be it oem installs or not and
> that's just absurd…
>
> Why is OEM vs retail install relevant? It's NTFS in any case. You have
> some justified concern as to whether the NTFS volume is healthy prior
> to being resized in advance of Fedora's installation - I haven't tried
> this so I don't know what happens but it's seems highly risky to
> resize a file system that hasn't had a recent file system check that
> goes beyond checking the journal.

We don't actually cover resizing in the criteria. It's a bit of a fudge,
but anaconda team considers resizing fundamentally too fragile to
guarantee, it's too easy for it to go wrong. The criteria really require
that anaconda be able to deploy Fedora alongside Windows and correctly
set up a bootloader that boots both, with the availability of empty
space for the Fedora install assumed.