criterion discussion: memory test tool

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Wed Nov 7 09:55:18 UTC 2012

> We get a *lot* of kernel bugs that are root-caused to be bad memory
> or other hardware faults
> using the memtest on the install disc.  Having it not be there by
> default is an extra step of
> hand-holding we need to do to get users to test things.

That is a good test case, thank you. And I agree memtest is useful. I just have the feeling we should not hold the release when it's not present (or, more concretely, I believe the criterion should not be present, not that we shouldn't hold the release in specific cases. If the problem arises, we should weight the situation and use common sense. For example missing memtest is a smaller issue than memtest reporting wrong results).

> Historically, how many times has this held up the release ?

I wouldn't like to go down this route when defining release criteria.