Radeon HD 5750 on Fedora 18 - airplane take off

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Fri Nov 9 07:40:26 UTC 2012

I've just tried Fedora 18 Live desktop image. It's a big wow and despite
some changes in gnome 3.6 which I'm not accustomed to everything seems
to work fine.

There is however some serious issue, that is also present in earlier
Fedora 17 release. It's about power management of graphics card. As
stated in title it's Radeon HD 5750 (Juniper) and open source driver.
When I started booting Fedora 18 I felt like I was in airplane that is
about to take off.

I've managed to fix this "bug" (or call I whatever you want) according
to instructions in
http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature#KMS_Power_Management_Options .

I have "profile" method set with "low" profile chosen it reduced fan
speed both on F17 and F18. I use rc.local to set it during boot up. My
question is: is it possible to set this by default in new Fedora 18? I
don't know if it could be done during compile time of kernel/drivers or
must be set explicitly like I did it. I think lot of people will be
happy to hear that GPU fan isn't so noisy.

Mateusz Marzantowicz