How to interpret F18 Blocker criterion

Robyn Bergeron rbergero at redhat.com
Fri Nov 9 20:06:03 UTC 2012

On 11/09/2012 12:37 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 11/09/2012 07:24 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
>> <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Well those numbers show clear dominance in vbox and vmware on the
>>> virtualzation field amongs those users that reported their smolt
>>> data so I
>>> dont think we can ignore those numbers just like that.
>> Yes we can.  We don't support VMWare or VBox.  We can ignore anything we
>> don't support as much as we want.
>
> Yet we have criteria is specifically tailored at dual booting along
> proprietary operating system on proprietary filesystem ( thus arguably
> support it ) which can block our own release if not fulfilled.
>
> What's your take on that since you are so opposed to us adding a
> criteria that cover vbox,vmware which atleast arguably is equally
> being used among our userbase?
Sticking strictly to the statistics point - I tend to agree at least on
Vbox - esp. for all the people who do dev-type work on macs, etc.

VMware is a bit harder to see - obviously they're the huge elephant in
the virt space but I would tend to think that people using KVM or Xen
would be more likely to use Fedora/care about open source and that we'd
get more value out of testing for that scenario than VMWare. But if the
(albeit old) stats reflect otherwise it might be worth considering,
though the ability to actually test that way isn't cheap and i fear that
we'd have pretty low participation in it.