How to interpret F18 Blocker criterion

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Sun Nov 11 04:32:04 UTC 2012

This is starting to get off topic but:

All of the critical accelerated drivers for Linux guests hosted by newer
versions of VMware are in the main Linux and X.org distributions.   The
past few Fedora releases have included them.

While Fedora may not officially support it, I have every Fedora version
back to 14 on my VMware server.  My Fedora 18 VM is using VMXNET3,
Paravirtualized SCSI, VMware graphics/mouse support, etc. with nothing
custom installed.

For those who want full integration, it should be possible to build
open-vm-tools without modules and in a manner which does not recompile
things already in Fedora.  But if such a trimmed version would be accepted
is a discussion for another mailing list.

In terms of criteria, it's a question of how important we consider the
VMware components; one could argue that Fedora is always dependent on the
host UEFI system or BIOS.

---
SJG

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 11:14 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com