crontab shutdown as (regular user or root su-) not working

Vadim Rutkovsky roignac at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 09:32:03 UTC 2012

Hello Antonio,

Here is a thread with a related problem and ways to solve it:
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red-hat-fedora-linux/159976-cron-shutdown-fails.html

Try using "/sbin/poweroff" instead of "/usr/sbin/poweroff" - and check root
mail (stored in /var/spool/mail/root) for debug information

Thanks,
  Vadim

2012/11/12 Antonio Olivares <wingators at inbox.com>

> Dear fellow testers & devs.,
>
> I have a special crontab which shuts down the computers at a specific
> time, ie.,
>
> 30 15 * * 1-5 /usr/sbin/poweroff > /dev/null 2>&1
>
> but the machine does not shutdown :(
>
> I have tried the following but as su - and added the following crontab:
>
> # min hour  day-of-month  month  day-of-week  command
> 30    15        *           *        1-5        /sbin/init 0 > /dev/null
> 2>&1
>
> and the machine does not shutdown :(  either.
>
> How can I make my machines shutdown automagically at 3:30 every weekday
> (1-5)?
> Does the new startup system interfere with basic shutdown of machines?
>
> Also on some machines, I see poweroff as
> /usr/bin/poweroff
> and on others
> /usr/sbin/poweroff
>
> Is the command different on different systems?
> It used to be the same before.
>
> And to shutdown the machine from menu, I get prompted for root password.
>  How can I eliminate that hassle?  Running Gnome desktop btw in case it is
> important.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Antonio

Vadim Rutkovsky