So Many Smoke Builds, So Little Time ...

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Tue Nov 20 19:53:33 UTC 2012

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:31:01 -0800
Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> Just as a reminder - as I think it may be less-known to the list than
> to IRC dwellers - smoketest builds are pre-TCs, effectively: the
> point is to check new builds of very build-sensitive components
> (anaconda, lorax, that kinda stuff) to make sure they're not
> completely broken before we use them in a TC/RC. We used to do this
> kind of thing on an ad hoc basis, Tim is making it more organized
> this cycle. We don't need anyone to do particularly extensive testing
> on smoketest builds - the main point is 'does it basically boot and
> work'. Sometimes, if one of the builds in the smoketest was to fix a
> specific issue, the smoketest can be used to check if that issue was
> fixed.

Good point, I wasn't thinking about that. I remember getting requests
for more announcements of the smoke builds, I just either tend to
forget or we get a TC shortly after the smoke is done (they're often
used as sanity checks before a full TC spin).

As Adam said, the smoke builds are cheap, disposable and relatively
fast methods for testing things which need a compose. The name comes
from the saying "where there's smoke, there's fire" - if the smoke
build blows up, something probably needs to be changed before a full
TC :)

Tim