F18-Beta installer - Aaaargh!

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Nov 30 20:07:03 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-11-30 at 20:50 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 10:49:50 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > It's not quite that it 'defaults' to automatic partitioning,
>
> That is what it tells at the very beginning in the "Storage" section.
>
> > it's that
> > the checkbox you hit is the 'automatic / custom' delimiter. It sounds
> > like that wasn't made clear enough for you.
>
> Of course. It seems "Reclaim space" does not just refer to shrinking something
> but also to reusing existing partitions by simply reformatting them.

Yes, basically, it means 'reclaim space via custom partitioning', which
by implication means you can do anything you like at all to reclaim the
space, since it's...custom partitioning. I can see why this wasn't
terribly clear to you, though. So just to make it clear, there are two
versions of the screen with the checkbox on it, one that shows when you
don't have enough space, and one that shows when you do.

So if you have enough free space for install, you have two options for
getting off the screen: check the box and hit the 'go ahead' button,
which puts you in custom partitioning. Or don't check the box and hit
the 'go ahead' button, in which case partitioning is done, you get
autopart in whatever free space you had available.

If you don't have enough free space for install, you again have two
you in custom partitioning - there is zero practical difference between
the cases here, because custom part doesn't decide anything for you, you
get to do everything. Or don't check the box and hit the 'go ahead'
button, in which case you get the 'guided' dialog for freeing up space,
which lets you delete or shrink existing partitions and doesn't let you
escape until your proposed changes free up enough space for install.

That's the overall design of the bit of UI you're encountering. It
sounds like the flow isn't made clear enough in the design, though, and
I'm sure the devs and designers will take a look at that.

> > As David says, this is a bit unclear, as the custom part screen itself
> > shouldn't ever say anything about free space for automatic partitioning.
> > I agree with David that it sounds like, somehow, you left the custom
> > part screen in a way in which the changes made on it weren't applied.
>
> No, clearly not.
>
> Unfortunately, the more I play with this new installer, the more breakage
> I encounter. Currently, I'm stuck even earlier and cannot "Unlock" my
> encrypted LV anymore. As soon as I try, no matter whether before or after
> Root, I get this crash: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/882351
>
> That also means that I cannot revisit the original problem. As you say,
> I can ignore the ISO path, since filling it in crashes the installer, too,
> but now the installer crashes always when trying to access the /home I
> want to add, and I've unlocked it a few times before opening this thread. ;-)

Well I guess we need to fix that bug first :)