Release criteria proposal: partitioning (alpha and beta)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Oct 2 01:30:46 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-09-30 at 21:49 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Hey, folks. So I'm sorry this is a bit late, but I've been working on
> the proposed partitioning criteria for F18, and here's what I've got:

So an update here: there's various additional proposals in the thread,
but no objections to the proposals I made for Alpha and Beta. These
proposals were additionally discussed and agreed with minor changes at
the QA meeting this morning. So I've gone ahead and edited the Alpha and
Beta criteria pages in line with the proposals as revised and accepted
at the QA meeting:

https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Fedora_18_Alpha_Release_Criteria&diff=305114&oldid=303697
https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Fedora_18_Beta_Release_Criteria&diff=305117&oldid=303021

(I know Alpha is done already, but we apply Alpha criteria at Beta and
Final release time too, so we need those to be correct; it's not
pointless to edit the Alpha criteria).

Of course, this doesn't close the partitioning topic finally or
anything, we can continue to discuss the further proposals people have
come up with on the list or at the meeting and add them to the criteria.
But there was broad agreement on _at least_ the requirements I've added,
AFAICT no-one seems to feel they over-reached in any way, and we need
something in place to evaluate proposed blockers and the freezeability
of 18 for Beta release, so it seemed good to get these baseline criteria
in place ASAP.

Please do continue to propose any extensions or improvements you can
think of to these criteria, thanks!