Fedora 18 Beta Test Compose 1 (TC1) Available Now!

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Oct 5 00:20:41 UTC 2012

On Oct 4, 2012, at 6:08 PM, Scott Robbins wrote:

>>> The TC2 is much better, seems to have fixed most things that were bothering
>>> me.  Netinstall, minimal.  Can now boot into multiuser mode, my only
>>

>>> nitpick is that time defaults to local and there doesn't seem a way to
>>> choose during installation.
>>

>> I think it's supposed to default to UTC, but I'm not 100% sure. Unless
>> you did a UEFI install? I read some rumblings that in the UEFI spec,
>> system clock is _required_ to run on local time, not UTC. Which seems
>> batshit crazy, but hey.
>
> I definitely didn't do anything special to make it a UEFI--I doubt
> VirtualBox, which is what I used for the install, does so.

I'm also using VBox 4.2.0 and had a time discrepancy I haven't seen with F17.

I had a problem where I set the timezone correctly but after install & reboot, the time shown was definitely UTC numerically, even though the date command returned "MDT". Once I set the time within the VM though, the problem seems resolved. But somehow it's like either VBox is not getting the correct time from the host, or it's not giving the correct time to the guest. It's definitely a BIOS VM, but it is running on an EFI host. This could be a vbox 4.2 thing, and just coincidentally seems like it's F18. Needs more testing.

Chris Murphy