Has anybody else seen a delay in xfce?

Kevin Martin ktmdms at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 12:15:29 UTC 2012

<snip>
>     >
>     > --
>     >
>     > Regards,
>     >
>     > ------------------------
>     > Kevin Martin
>     > --
>
>     I use F17 and Xfce. My PC is very old (Athlon) so I see a delay when switching to a thunderbird window but it's sometimes less
>     than a second, sometimes maybe a couple of seconds.
>     So specially if your computer isn't as old then maybe you have a video driver issue? Just a guess that might be wrong.
>     So the issue exists but for some reason you're having it exaggerated.
>     --
>

> I don't see any issues on my F18 instances (VirtualBox) and F18 installed on my laptop, so it must be something there is depending
> on hardware.
>
> Tim

Hmm, the switching problem is solved.  But a second problem (which I hoped would be fixed if I got the switching problem figured
out) still exists.

For a little more background, in order to get the nouveau driver to work with my card I had to set "Option "NoAccel" 1  " in the
Devices section of my xorg.conf file....without this X would crash every time (there is an open bugzilla about this that nobody
seems interested in working on).  I used to start the OS with nouveau.noaccel=1 in the linux line but that has stopped working (yet
another bugzilla that nobody is working on that I can tell).  And I solved my switching problem by adding this to my xorg.conf:

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "off"
EndSection

So I can switch from workspace to workspace with no issue now.  The other issue I'm still seeing is when I move a window within the
workspace...instead of the window just moving to the new location that I drag it to there is a noticeable delay in the repaint of
the window....if I set it so that the content of the window is not shown during the move it's less noticeable but still obvious.
And occasionally the system doesn't recognize when I release the mouse button during the move such that if I release the button but
continue to move the mouse the window still follows the mouse and ends up in a place that I didn't intend.

So I'm getting closer and will continue to experiment.  Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Kevin