F18 TC3 No Logout Option?

kevin martin ktmdms at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 13:59:05 UTC 2012

<snip>
>> This is a new feature from the GNOME team (i.e. it's intended). They believe there are no use cases for logging out, if you have just a single user.
>
> It is a little more nuanced than that.
>
> We don't offer to log out if there is just a single user, and a single
> session (ie desktop env). I there is just a single user, and you have
> e.g. xfce installed, we currently show 'Switch session'. Unfortunately,
> that doesn't work, so we'll replace it with 'Log out'. If you have
> multiple users, we always show 'Log out'.
>
> The region panel, where you can switch your language (which only takes
> effect after logout currently, unfortunately), will get an explicit
> logout button.
>
> You can always end your session by running gnome-session-quit in a
> terminal.

Couple comments:

1). Since I boot to a non-graphical level and then run startx, I use
logout when I'm doing an update to anything X related so I can
get back to a console, run the yum update, and then startx again
without having to reboot (so there's a case for having a logout
option).

2). Opening a terminal and running gnome-session-quit is completely
non-intuitive and a ridiculous "option" to just having the
logout button available.  I'm a long time user of Linux (and Gnome,
KDE, XFCE, etc.) and I would have been hard pressed to come up
with this solution very quickly...anybody less experienced would never
figure this out!

Kevin