manual partitioning "Apply Changes" button

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Oct 11 01:10:47 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 18:38 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Oct 10, 2012, at 5:42 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 17:24 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> >> This button is new in TC3. But appears to be superfluous in that it
> >> does nothing (yet?), but more importantly I don't understand why it
> >> would even be needed. Would anyone like to address my confusion?
> >
> > I'm not the designer, but I think I can see why it's there.
> >
> > The 'size' field is right there as part of the screen in question, for
> > instance, it's not a child window or anything. So what should happen
> > while I'm typing '5000' into that box? Should the screen update to show
> > a partition of size 5, then a partition of size 50, then a partition of
> > size 500, then a partition of size 5000? Or should it try and do some
> > kind of heuristic to figure out when you're done twiddling and put the
> > change 'live'? (ew). Having an 'apply changes' button seems a necessary
> > evil.
>
> I think its purpose is not discoverable. The button is located far away from the singular option to which it appears applicable.
>
> And yes, I'd prefer a 5 second time out OR a click elsewhere, that would cause a live update. Update on click is what happens with the RAID 1/0 checkboxes.
>
> I'm also confused by the difference in units, MB vs GB. Seems like the size field could be GB with a decimal just like the presentation on the left.
>
> Probably trivial matters for F18 at this point, I feel...

Oh, yeah. I *wish* we were at the point where polish was the most
important thing. :)

In general it's certainly the case that the design can do with some
polishing in all sorts of places. We don't necessarily need to bother
the devs with it directly though. What I've been doing when I get a
design itch is to talk to Mairin (mizmo in #anaconda IRC) about it, and
work up a plan together to submit to the devs.