Review of Fedora 18 Release Criteria (Second Attempt)

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Wed Oct 24 05:21:15 UTC 2012

While the last conversation around the F18 release criteria did yeild
some interesting information, it wasn't quite what I had in mind so
let's try this again :)

With all of the criteria changes we've had for F18, we'd like to get
some feedback on the current criteria to make sure that we're not
either overreaching or missing some important functionality. We're
interested in feedback on the criteria themselves instead of the
blocker or criteria review process. I've listed the new and revised
criteria for F18 at the end of this email but input on the old criteria
would also be appreciated.

 - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_18_Alpha_Release_Criteria
 - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_18_Beta_Release_Criteria
 - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_18_Final_Release_Criteria

Tim

New/Changed Alpha Release Criteria
The installer must be able to install each of the release blocking
desktops, as well as the minimal package set, with each supported
installation method

The installer must be able to complete an installation using automatic
partitioning to any sufficiently large target disk, whether
unformatted, empty, or containing any kind of existing data

The installer must allow the user to select which of the disks
connected to the system will be affected by the installation process.
Disks not selected as installation targets must not be affected by the
installation process in any way

New/Changed Beta Release Criteria
The installer must be able to complete an installation using automatic
partitioning to a validly-formatted disk with sufficient empty space,
using the empty space and installing a bootloader but leaving the
pre-existing partitions and data untouched

=== This is still under review - waiting for input ===
The installer's custom partitioning mode must be capable of the
following:
  * Creating, destroying and assigning mount points to partitions of
    any specified size using most commonly-used filesystem types
  * Creating encrypted partitions
  * Rejecting obviously invalid operations without crashing

For each one of the release-blocking package sets ('minimal', and the
package sets for each one of the release-blocking desktops), it must be
possible to successfully complete an upgrade from a fully updated
installation of the previous stable Fedora release with that package
set installed, using any officially recommended upgrade mechanisms. The
upgraded system must meet all release criteria.

New/Changed Final Release Criteria

For each one of the release-blocking package sets ('minimal', and the
package sets for each one of the release-blocking desktops), it must be
possible to successfully complete an upgrade from a fully updated
installation of the previous stable Fedora release with that package
set installed, using all officially recommended upgrade mechanisms. The
upgraded system must meet all release criteria.