More experiences with F18

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Fri Oct 26 16:25:49 UTC 2012

On 10/26/2012 09:22 AM, Kevin Martin wrote:
> On 10/26/12 10:44, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:

>>> Hmm, I wonder if they've made changes in upstream nouveau.  I'm running rawhide and have not experienced any crashes of nouveau
>>> (although I have other issues with nouveau, just not crashing) and *can't* get the nvidia driver to install (either from rpmfusion
>>> or from nvidia directly; it doesn't build from the akmod, there is no kmod package for my kernel, and the nvidia .run file won't
>>> build (I've sent a request to nvidia for help after doing some debugging)).  It appears that the nvidia builder script doesn't take
>>> into account include files that have been moved to uapi and/or generated/uapi (why must something that's working be messed with all
>>> of the time?).
>>>
>>> Kevin
>>   I am using NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.60.run
>>
>> 1.  Change "rhgb quiet" to "nomodeset" in the active grub.cfg entry
>> 2.  Reboot
>> 3.  init 3
>> 4.  sh NV*
>>
>> As I keyboard this, I am running Xfce with composting on.
>> Random screensavers are enabled.  WSPR is running with
>> one sound card and a real serial port.  Lady Heather is
>> running under Wine using a USB serial port to talk to
>> a Trimble Thunderbolt.  Ham Radio Deluxe's rotator control
>> under Wine interrogates a rotator 1/sec using the other
>> USB serial port.  Audacity has been recording sound
>> using the motherboard sound device for 21 hours.
>> I have also been playing with SCO Openserver 5.0.7 under
>> the virtual machine manager.  Also have been using
>> VNC, Firefox to talk to the world.  The system has not crashed
>> using the Nvidia driver.  Knock on wood.
>>

> Which kernel are you running?  I can't get 304.60 to build on 3.7.0-0.rc2.git1.2.fc19.x86_64 (rawhide).  It can't figure out the
> kernel version so it won't even try to build.
>

> Kevin
  uname -a
Linux omen3.omen.com 3.6.3-3.fc18.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Oct 23 14:55:06 UTC
2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[caf at omen3 X11]$ ll N*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 64146553 Oct 25 03:47 NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.60.run

Yum update is current.

--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R     caf at omen.com   www.omen.com