18 Alpha TC3 DVD defaulting to networked install

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Sat Sep 1 17:23:52 UTC 2012

Chris Lumens <clumens <at> redhat.com> writes:

> That box doesn't do anything yet.
>
> > Aside from that, I'm not happy with the default of a networked install
> > in that
> >
> > 1) It's less reliable than a non-networked install because of problems like
> > the one above (assuming the DVD itself has no repoclosure or file
> > conflicts problems), and
> >
> > 2) It means higher bandwidth use, since the default is to download
> > updated packages in full, rather than installing the old version from
> > the DVD and then saving bandwidth by downloading the updated
> > version with yum-presto.
>
> Well, obviously, it's a bug and it will get fixed.D But if you want to

The box for getting packages from the indicated install source seems to work
now. But it's still unchecked by default. This means that someone with limited
bandwidth, who installs F18 several months after release, and doesn't know
about the new default, may get a nasty surprise when they find themselves
doing something closer to a netinst install than a non-networked one, even
though they're using the DVD. I think it's inconsistent to default to using drpms
(yum-presto) by default for updating an installed system, but not when
installing by DVD (by installing the old versions locally and then using drpms
to update). (And it should be noted that yum-presto in F18 and up can now use
multiple cores, so people with such hardware who had it disabled before should
try it again.)