[criteria update] Package set

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Sep 6 16:57:44 UTC 2012

On 2012-09-06 0:59, Kamil Paral wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Because of changes in package set selection in new anaconda, I
>> propose
>> to amend the alpha criterion:
>>
>> 'The installer must be able to complete package installation with
>> the
>> default package set for each supported installation method'
>>
>> to:
>>
>> 'The installer must be able to install the default desktop for each
>> supported installation method (DVD, live, netinst, PXE, ...)'
>>
>> I chose default desktop because in f17 every installation method had
>> it
>> as default package set.
>
> It makes sense to adjust it, because there is no longer "default"
> package set. Also big thanks for clarifying what "installation
> methods" mean.

Do we know if it's *intended* that there's no default package set, or
is that a bug? It only makes sense to amend the criterion if the lack of
a default package set is actually intended. Also, if it's intended that
there's no default package set, can there be said to be a 'default
desktop' any more? GNOME is only the 'default' in that it's the desktop
in the 'default package set'. If there's no 'default package set', GNOME
becomes simply a choice on the package set selection screen, co-equal
with all the others. I can't see how it can be called 'the default'.

> I wonder - we require only the default desktop (GNOME) to be
> installable, but we have further Alpha criteria for other
> release-blocking desktops (KDE)? That's funny :-)

> Maybe we should say:
> 'The installer must be able to (successfully) install *all
> release-blocking desktops* for each supported installation method
> (DVD, live, netinst, PXE, ...)'

I think that's better, if we assume the new behaviour in anaconda is
actually intended.