F18 RC2 erratic GUI in VBox, missing installer window

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Sep 11 17:51:21 UTC 2012

Is anyone else testing in VirtualBox? F17 is quite well behaved in 4.1.20, but in F18 I'm having windows yanked out from under me constantly. I'm switched to Overview (as if I've clicked on Activities) just by moving the mouse while not clicking on anything.

As Anaconda hub produces additional windows for its various steps (like partitioning), if this erratic switch to Gnome Overview mode happens, the anaconda child window is totally lost. I can't find a way to get back to it, as it's not visible in Overview, just the original Anaconda "hub" window is visible, and because it has a child window waiting for completion I can't actually use the "hub" window at all, all options are grayed out except Quit - but clicking Quit does nothing.

The mouse arrow is also extremely erratic: mousing upward randomly causes the mouse to vanish and shift 10-15% to the left (always left), while the GUI behaves as if I'm clicking on Activities then clicking on an application window in Overview, then back on Activities… even though I'm not clicking on anything.

Ahhh, if I click on Activities, then click-hold on the Install to Hard Drive icon, I get a contextual menu with two anaconda options. Choosing one gets me to the "hub" and choosing the other gets me back to the MIA child (partitioning in this case) window. Crisis averted.

Chris Murphy