Anaconda exception handling testing

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Thu Sep 20 09:05:02 UTC 2012

> > I have updated our test case with the new instructions:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_save_traceback_to_bugzilla
> >

> > We have more test cases regarding bug reporting from Anaconda:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_save_traceback_to_disk
> > According to developers in #anaconda, every time there is an
> > exception
> > it is automatically written to anaconda-tb-* file. Jiri Moskovcak
> > says
> > there are no plans to add 'save to disk' option to libreport.
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_save_traceback_to_remote_system
> > Jiri Moskovcak says there are no plans to add 'save to remote
> > system'
> > option to libreport.
>
> If this isn't supposed to come back into libreport, we should just
> drop
> the test case, or replace it with one to ensure the tb file is
> accessible in /tmp.

Done. "save to disk" and "save to remote system" test cases dropped, traceback file checking added to "save to bugzilla" test case.

> I'd say that's a fine plan except we should change the 'report to
> local
> disk' wording in the criterion. That's certainly not how we'd write
> it
> if we were starting with a libreport that didn't have a 'save crash
> report to local disk' option, so we should change it.

Old criterion:
" The installer must be able to report failures to Bugzilla and local disk, with appropriate information included "

Proposed new criterion:
" The installer must be able to save failure information to local disk and report it to Bugzilla "

> > Last but not least, we should consider removing
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_traceback_debug_mode
> > because I don't see how that helps our users. That is mainly useful
> > for developers, but no user will ever use that, they will use
> > updates.img at best. There is no reason for us to test it.
>
> I usually want to at least recall why we had something in the
> criteria
> in the *first* place before we take it out, but aside from that I
> have
> no concrete objections. Anyone remember why we put that in there?
> anaconda folks, is it something you consider critical?

I think it was created somewhat organically [1] - there was a button in the installer, so we wrote a test case for it.

I'll talk to anaconda developers and ask them for more details about this feature.

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-qa/ticket/33