Release criterion proposal: upgrade methods

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Mon Sep 24 16:32:01 UTC 2012

As currently written, the upgrade criterion in the Fedora 18 beta
release requirements [1] reads:

The installer must be able to successfully complete an upgrade
installation from a clean, fully updated default installation (from any
official install medium) of the previous stable Fedora release, either
via preupgrade or by booting to the installer manually. The upgraded
system must meet all release criteria.

As we aren't sure if preupgrade will continue to be an officially
supported upgrade mechanism for F18, I propose to change that criterion
such that specific upgrade mechanisms are omitted.

The installer must be able to successfully complete an upgrade
installation from a clean, fully updated default installation (from any
official install medium) of the previous stable Fedora release via any
officially supported upgrade mechanism. The upgraded system must meet
all release criteria.

Since this is a pretty minor change, I'll wait one week before changing
the wiki page. If there are no objections by then, I'll go through and
change it.

Tim

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_18_Beta_Release_Criteria