Release criterion proposal: upgrade methods

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 25 12:15:19 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 04:06:23PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> You could certainly make the case, yeah. Given that our excuse for
> people who say 'you have to upgrade every six months' is to say 'no you
> don't, because we support releases for 12, you can just upgrade every
> second release!', so we kinda do tell people that.

Yeah. I have one system where I run rawhide, and I leap releases for
everything else -- but, usually I accept that I'm going to reinstall. I
don't think Fedora (or Red Hat) have *ever* promised that an upgrade from
anything but the previous release will work.

I'm very much in favor of changing that given what you say above, but I
think maybe that in itself is a Feature.